Ketogenic diet is starving cancer cells!
Ketogenic diet consists of low ingestion of carbohydrates, low ingestion of proteins and high ingestion of healthy fats. This diet affects and stops the spread even in the advanced cases of carcinogenic diseases and cancer. Researches show that this diet stops the cancer spread, inhibits metastasis and destroys cancer cells.
Professor Thomas Seyfried, biologist from Boston, after many years of research, believes that the cancer is metabolic disease and that its origin is not genetic. Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, assistant of the professor on University of Florida, was included in the treatment of patients suffering from cancer in an advanced stage, using only ketogenic diet. Ketogenic diet gained great attention and interest when it was written about this method of treatment for the first time in 2006.
The most basic principles of ketogenic diet
1. Glucose is the main fuel in cancer cells. Those cells are not flexible at all. If they don’t have glucose in the reach they simply die (in some cases when glucose is not around, cancer cells use glutamine, amino acids as a reserve). Cancer cells have defective mitochondria which produce harmful oxygen. Glucose is extremely important when it comes to destruction of these substances. Without glucose, mitochondria and harmful oxygen destroy cancer cells.
2. There is more and more proof on the fact that increased concentration of glucose increases the risk of cancer and decreases the chance of recovering with people who already have it.
3. There is also more and more proof that restriction of calories (namely, people who eat about 15% of the amount of calories that is needed) can help the survival and recovery from cancer.
4. There is a growing amount of evidence that fasting increases the possibility of survival because it decreases the level of glucose in the plasma, as well as the level of IGF-1 hormones and insulin which are directly related to development of the cancer. Fasting limits the level of glutamine as well.
It should also be noted that reduced ingestion of calories and fasting improve the outcome of chemotherapy, decrease side effects and enable the decrease of chemotherapy dosage.
5. After 24 hours, cancer cells are starting to starve and their inflexibility on the lack of glucose comes to the fore. Normal cells, which are flexible, can burn the fuel from normal cells (fats for example). That is called Ketosis.
6. In practice, as high as 70% of cancer patients cannot bear the fast, even though it can stop the spread and advancement of cancer.
7. Ketogenic diet limits the consumption of carbohydrates and proteins, but enables people to eat healthy fats and in that manner increases ketosis in the organism. There is even a food made by the formula, which is called Keto Cal for people who do not want to fast.
What Ketogenic diet consists of
Even though the restriction of calories affects the spread of cancer, the next time you ingest the greater concentration of glucose, it can lead to the change of mood, the cancer cells are loading with fuel for burning. Complete fasting (from 3 to 5 days) can prevent this. Fast causes the state of ketosis in body where flexible, healthy cells, free of glucose, advance while carcinogenic ones wither.
Than we have come to ketogenic diet in which the rules are very simple:
1. Do not eat carbohydrates, even the vegetables with starch in it- do not take glucose or high amounts of fructose(carbonated soft drinks).
2. Eat only limited amount of protein. Ingest only high-quality protein such as fish and chicken.
3. Ingest only good fats such as olive oil, fish oil, pumpkin seeds, nut, coconut oil, avocado, and do not ingest cow milk and milk products with high concentration of bad fats. Only raw products from cows fed exclusively with grass in small amounts.
On 5th of Jun 2013, the results of the research were published by researchers from University of South Florida (Angela M. Poff and Dr. Dominic D’Agostino) and Thomas N. Seyfried from Boston College. On mice with cancer metastasis they used ketogenic diet combined with hyperbaric oxygen, in control groups, researchers reported that:
Ketogenic diet, by itself, significantly reduces the level of glucose in blood, slows the progression of tumor and increases the time of survival by 57% in mice with cancer. With hyperbaric oxygen the therapy, by itself, didn’t affect the progression of cancer, but with combining ketogenic diet with hyperbaric oxygen very significant decrease of the level of sugar in blood was caused, as well as stopping the rate of tumor development and increase of the survival rate by 77% in comparison with control group.
The latest information about ketogenic diet
Diet should be under the full supervision of professional nutritionist (trained to use ketogenic diet).
Following things related to ketogenic diet should be taken into account :
a) Carbohydrates should be avoided, especially refined ones, as well as glucose, carbonated soft drinks, corn syrups with high concentration of fructose, food with high glycemic index, honey with 50% of glucose and fructose,. Ketogenic diet includes ingestion of only non-starch carbohydrates from plants.
b) Diet focuses on good fats such as extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, avocado and eggs. While bad fats like those in dairy products from cows should be avoided.
c) Ingestion of protein should be only in very small amounts and it should consist of exclusively natural, high-quality and fresh protein sources (fish, chicken), absolutely not from smoked meat in which carbohydrates are added. High ingestion of proteins can increase the level of glutamine, by which the cancer cells are fed and which is necessary for their survival.
d) Healthy and normal cells are flexible and can use other carbohydrates or ketones as source of fuel. Cancer cells do not have this flexibility because they can use only glucose. In certain circumstances they can use glutamine but in conclusion, without glucose they starve to death.
e) Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, researcher from medical faculty of the University of South Florida, has showed in 2012 on the animals with cancer metastasis that they can live longer if using the diet free of carbohydrates.
f) D’Agostino believes that limiting the ingestion of calories with fasting and ketogenic diet enables the control and restriction of glucose level, IGF-1, insulin, proteins and glutamines which cause the creation and spreading of cancer.
Products which can protect you from cancer
In 2012, research was conducted in American National Institute for cancer which included the examining the matter of how food can limit the growth and spread of tumor. What they have discovered is that in the core of all tumors, cancer stem cells lie and there is no drug or medicine with which we can destroy them.
Anti-cancer diet is used as part of the program for recovery from cancer. Alongside this diet, other nutritionist products can be used, especially ones which affect carcinogenic cells and those are: artemisinin, curcumin, piperine, genistein, vitamins A and D, EGCG from the green tea, etc.
American anti-cancer association, in 2012, published the report adopted by the NCI, that there’s been an explosion in researching with complementary therapies from 2006, and that there is a great number of evidence that nutrition, weight control and exercises can increase the life expectancy with people suffering from cancer and prevent the cancer return with those who has eradicated this disease.
Ketogenic diet is capable of affecting, with previously mentioned methods, the decrease of glucose in plasma, IGF-1 and the level of insulin, but it can also limit the glutamine and reduce the amount of cholesterol in body.
The most important thing about this diet is the lack of calories, negligible ingestion of the sodium salts and increased ingestion of good fats as opposed to the bad ones. Specific researches include:
1. We have conducted 6 research studies in the last 3 years and all of them indicated that the people with highest level of glucose in their blood have increased and fastened development of cancer in their organism, and also in their cases the survival rate is the lowest.
2. When it comes to the ingestion of fats, researches that were published in Cancer Center in Seattle proved that bad fats lead to re-emergence of the breast cancer while fish oil fats prevent it.
3. Researches also show that reduced ingestion of calories improves the life expectancy with those who were exposed to the radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Brain and other hard tumors
Lets begin with short review of brain researches and other hard tumors and their advancing when there is higher ingestion of glucose.
a) There are several research studies which confirm this. Researchers from biology department on the Boston College discovered that cancer cells on brain which are inflexible in comparison to healthy ones, for energy use exclusively glucose but not ketones. They have emphasized that metabolic therapy had made the greater progress in regard to drug therapy which is used for the past 5 decades.
b) Researches from Ohio University center have shown that molecule MIP-451 excludes in the absence of glucose and automatically reduces brain tumor, while in abundance of glucose it is fed and enlarging.
c) In January 2009, researches have noticed that there is a strong bond between hyperglycemia and the risk of cancer and after applying the researches on patients with brain cancer they concluded that those with the highest level of glucose in blood have the greater and faster spread of cancer as opposed to the ones who have the lower level. They have also concluded that this characteristic applies to the majority of carcinogenic diseases.
d) In 2009, it was discovered as well that the resilience on insulin is directly related to the breast cancer. In cases where woman had increased level of glucose in blood, risk of breast cancer was 1.7 times higher.
e) In 2010, scientists have proven that metformin, medicine for diabetes which reduces the level of sugar in blood, is directly related to lower rate of lung cancer.